The Panhandle Water Planning Group is comprised of 21 counties in the Texas Panhandle. The Panhandle Water Planning Area was formed pursuant to Senate Bills 1 and 2 of the 75th Legislature of the State of Texas, which require all areas of the state of Texas to conduct a comprehensive water planning program. The plans that were created and adopted in 2001 as a result of this legislation are the most detailed and encompassing regional level water plans created to date. In 2006, the Panhandle Water Planning Group conducted a comprehensive update to that original 2001 plan.
The initial Regional Water Plan was completed and submitted to the Texas Water Development Board in accordance with the rules governing water planning. The Panhandle Water Planning Group is now involved in the third round of regional water planning for the Panhandle Water Planning Area. Current activities include work on population projections and water use projections for the planning horizon. As in the last plan, a volunteer board composed of 22 voting members is tasked with not only preparing the plan, but also of protecting the interests of all water users and water use groups within the region. These individuals serve without compensation and represent professional water supply and management entities, the public, municipalities, counties, agricultural, environmental, higher education, electric generation, small business, and industrial concerns.
Pursuant to HB 1763 of the 79th Legislature of the State of Texas, the four Groundwater Conservation Districts in the region are participating in the Groundwater Management Area #1 (GMA#1). The goal of GMA#1 is to establish a Desired Future Condition (DFC) for the major aquifers in the region including the Ogallala and Dockum Aquifers. These adopted DFCs will affect the PWPG’s 2016 Regional Water Planning efforts.
- 2021 Panhandle Regional Water Plan – Public Input Hearing – May 17, 2016
- 2016 Panhandle Regional Water Plan – Presented – November 2015 (Large PDF File 27MB)
- 2016 Panhandle Regional Water Plan – Presented – November 2015 (Attachments)
- Model Conservation Plan – Industries
- Model Conservation Plan – Irrigation
- Model Conservation Plan – Municipal
- Model Drought Contingency Plan – Irrigation
- Model Drought Contingency Plan – Municipal
- Populated Region A 2015 Prioritization 11-9-15